Monday, May 23, 2011

home sick - story of my life

For anyone who doesn't know, I have IBS. Irritable Bowel Syndrome has only been a diagnosis of a few years, but I had been gathering intolerances since I was 14 years old. At the age of 14 I went to a doctor to get my an immunization - one of those weird extra ones they started making us all take before college. The doctor and I discussed some of my experiences with dairy, and he agreed I may be intolerant and advised I try lactaid. At that time i was not aware that taking those pills was a good as giving up. Now many years, and many intolerances later, I am finally starting to get some stuff back. Recently, I decided to see if i could tolerate frozen yogurt. It was heavy, but I didn't get ill, just a little gassy. After several nights of yogurt consumption, i started testing some foods and the probiotics I have ingested have somehow made me able to eat dairy! I still moderate it, because too much of anything is not good, but I am happy. I am not sure the limits of this newfound cure, I have read some articles stating that probiotics can help us rebuild the linings in our guts. I will keep you all updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment